May 9, 2018
Marjorie Clifton, Executive Director of the Center for Safe Internet Pharmacies, a non-profit dedicated to educated consumers about safely buying medicines online joins eHealth Radio and the Health News and Pharmaceutical Channels.
CSIP and the Partnership for Drug Free Kids are launching Medicine Safe, a new coalition of national and state public and private organizations dedicated to helping families understand the opioid epidemic, medicine safety and how to prevent and treat addiction.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels and guest Marjorie Clifton discuss the following:
- Before we talk about the new coalition, let’s give our listeners some background. It seems that every day we are hearing about the opioid epidemic in the country. Can you give us some insight into how widespread it is?
- When you talk about opioids, are you only talking about prescription painkillers?
- Why are so many more people addicted now?
- Some say eliminating opioids, limiting the number of pills prescribed or incarcerating more people will solve the crisis. Do you agree?
- What about prevention?
- It seems like an impossible situation. Let’s talk about the new coalition CSIP and the Partnership started. What is Medicine Safe?
- What makes MedicineSafe different from all of the other organizations trying to curb the opioid epidemic?
Marjorie Clifton is the Executive Director for the Center for Safe Internet Pharmacies (CSIP) and has been helping develop international awareness and policies around medicine safety, illegal online pharmacies and counterfeit medicines since 2011.
In her role with CSIP she has built global coalitions, communications strategies and campaigns to drive impact and awareness on a range of issues impacting consumers, corporations and global citizens.
Marjorie has helped stand up global organizations supporting CSIP’s mission and participates in an Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) working group. She is also called upon regularly to speak on the topic of online counterfeiting and consumer protection at industry conferences, government stakeholder meetings and international forums such as the U.S. Department of State, U.S. House of Representatives, the U.S. Department of Trade, U.S. Department of Commerce, the Global Trade Organization, U.S. Chamber of Commerce, APEC, the Internet for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) and Merchant Acquirers’ Committee (MAC). Ms. Clifton is also a published author and media commentator, appearing regularly on CNN, Fox, NBC, MSNBC, PBS and global radio.
Marjorie received her bachelor’s degree in Communications and Spanish from the University of Texas. She received her master’s from Drama Studio London. She is currently a fellow and advisory board member for the Annette Strauss Institute for Civic Participation at the University of Texas and serves on the board for the School of Undergraduate Studies. She is also an executive board member of the non-profit Running Start, and a founder of their Next Step program, which trains young women in career development and politics.
Social Media Links: