Holly Stokes, also known as “The Brain Trainer” Master NLP Practitioner, Certified Coach and Hypnotherapist & the author of A Lighter You! Train Your Brain to Slim Your Body and A Lighter You, a Health Coach’s Guide to Nutrition in Action joins eHealth Radio and the Addiction Prevention and Weight Management Channels.
- You wrote a weight loss book, did you ever struggle with your weight?
- In your book you talk about brain habits and how to change them, how did you come to be ‘the brain trainer’?
- How is your program different from other diet programs?
- Can you give us an example of how ‘brain training’ works.
- Does the same process and principle apply to smoke cessation?
Having a clear plan and knowing what to do is important, but it is not enough. What really gets in the way of whether we follow through on our goals are old habits, mental blocks, underlying fears, lack of motivation, self criticism and self sabotage. And these are all mental patterns wired into your brain!
Holly began working with at-risk teens as wilderness counselor where she worked closely with psychologists to help teens overcome addictions, learn positive communications and build self-esteem. This led her to finish her Bachelor of Science in Psychology at Portland State University. While doing her coursework, she was fascinated with research on the brain which inspired her to certify in Hypnosis and Neuro-Linguistic Programming. NLP looks at how the brain codes information and how we can use that code to effect personal change at a foundational level.
In her continued search for professional development she later added Master NLP Certification, NLP Health Certification and Thought Pattern Management. This spectrum of modalities gives Holly a unique perspective on human behavior, motivation and achievement. Through an interactive and participatory approach, Holly loves to engage the audience on the journey of personal discovery through her seminars and workshops.&
Ms. Stokes has authored two books and professionally recorded several CDs designed to change negative mental patterns. In June 2010, she released her first book, A Lighter You! Train your Brain to Slim your Body which offers mental strategies for changing the old habits, cravings and mental blocks around weight gain. She has created several “Train your Brain” audios designed to ‘rewire’ the brain for health, happiness and success. Her articles have appeared in Healthy Utah magazine, she has been quoted in Shape magazine, Active Times and has appeared locally on ABC’s ‘Good 4 Utah’ as well as several radio show appearances.
Education & Certifications
- Psychology BS: Portland State University, Portland, OR
- M.NLP: Certified Master Neuro-Linguistic Practitioner, NLPCA San Francisco, CA
- NLP Health Certified Coach, NLP Coaching Institute, San Francisco, CA
- C.TPM: Certified Thought Pattern Management Practitioner, ALI, Portland, OR
- Certified NLP Coach, Choices, Seattle, WA
- CHt. Certified Hypnotherapist, Apositiva, Portland, OR