David Engel is the co-founder of Review Concierge, an online review management company that helps doctors protect their public images online joins eHealth Radio and the Health News and Technology Channels.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels and guest David Engel discuss the following:
- You mentioned in your recent Electronic Health Reporter article that online reviews are the new incarnation of patient feedback. Can you tell us a little more about that?
- Can you tell us about the trends that are making online reviews take the place of the paper feedback form?
- Healthcare organizations already have their hands full. Do they really need to stop and invent new processes to get online reviews or can they somehow dovetail this effort into existing processes?
- What are some of the best practices that you use when responding to reviews? Namely when the review is negative.
- How can healthcare leaders begin to put a strategy in place to manage their online reviews?
TIP: Develop a culture of “feedback.” Having a transparent, nondefensive attitude is the first step in developing a culture of feedback.
I was talking with the leader of an orthopedic surgery practice. And he had such a great attitude about reviews. He said he welcomes both good and bad reviews. His staff knows that whatever they do is going to be reflected online. That keeps everyone on their toes to deliver the best experience to patients.
Culture is easiest to change when it starts from the top down. Even if you're not at the top of the organization you can start leading by example by regularly asking your patience for their feedback. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how happy patients are to provide it and how useful it can be for spreading positive word of mouth about your practice.
David Engel is the co-founder of Review Concierge. He started Review Concierge in 2012 to help doctors defend their reputations online. David has helped the company create a wealth of knowledge around using review websites like Yelp to improve a medical practice’s image on the internet. The company serves doctors in nearly every state in the US.
David’s entrepreneurial experience goes back to 2008 when he started his first digital marketing agency. Since then, he has been recognized as a leader in Salesforce.com design. He has been quoted for his expertise in interactive and mobile marketing in numerous media outlets, including Media Post, About.com, Businessweek, LA Times, and the San Diego Union Tribune. He lives in San Diego, CA where he enjoys sunbathing, hiking and taking long walks on the beach while talking on his cellphone.