Kristyn was the 12th of her polygamist father's 23 biological children. After she left polygamy, she wrote her 1st book and founded the Sound Choices Coalition that mentors boys and girls who have left polygamy.
- Last fall, your first book was banned from the Tuacahn Market in St. George Utah. You gave your second book, that's recently been published, the same title as the first, other than the word: (UNCENSORED) in front of - FIFTY YEARS in POLYGAMY: Big Secrets and Little White Lies. Your book is full of vignettes that disclose secrets, lies and harms of polygamy. You wrote about discovering yourself, of leaving and becoming an educator to inform the public of the harms of polygamy. There are many books written by ex-polygamists. Why was your book banned and why did you use the word "Uncensored?"
- What was your childhood like, were you programmed to believe in polygamy also?
- Did you live polygamy – What was that like?
- You began writing your first book and published it in 2012, volunteered to help others leave, and also started a Coalition. Please tell us more about that.
- What is the most important message you would want the world and those who are still locked into that belief system to know and understand about polygamy?
Kristyn Decker was born and raised in polygamy. She was the 12th of her father’s and prophet’s 23 biological children. Her mother was the first of his 13 wives. While living polygamy and raising her seven children to believe the same, Decker taught off and on for 18 years in the AUB private school. In 1991, with five kids still at home, she volunteered in her youngest son’s Head Start class and began taking college courses. She was an assistant Head Start teacher for four years, while acquiring her AS degree, and then became a lead teacher for four more years.
During and after this time Decker attended and sponsored in self-help groups, volunteered with Utah State School Age Child Care Association, and joined the Utah Children Association. In 1995 she began teaching CDA classes to Child Development Associate candidates at Children First and presented at Early Childhood conferences.
Right after that, Kristyn wrote her own business plan and received a half million dollar SBA loan to start a kid’s college. She graduated in 2002 with a BA in Elementary Education and Early Childhood from Southern Utah University, and began teaching K – 2 in public schools. Decker founded the Sound Choices Coalition after she published her first book Fifty Years in Polygamy – Big Secrets and Little White Lies. While Decker’s second book; UNCENSORED FYIP has recently been published, she continues to spend numerous hours volunteering in many aspects with the SCC and with other non-profit organizations to help end human rights violations due to polygamy and other forms of abuse.
For the past two years, Decker has been speaking and presenting through numerous media sources, at conferences, churches, book stores, civic clubs, and libraries across our country. (Many not listed here): S.L. Critical Issues; Facing Adolescents and Children, The Today Show, CNN Week-end News, Good Morning AZ., NPR Community Voices, The Fawn Rigan Show - WCCO – Minneapolis, KTAR Talk Radio, Jay Lawrence, KSL A.M. News.