Dr. Jose Almeida, Founder and Medical Director of the Miami Vein Center, who is a highly accomplished vascular surgeon and is known as a pioneer in Endovascular Venous Surgery joins eHealth Radio and the Health News Channnel.
Dr. Almeida is the creator and course director of the International Vein Congress, the largest educational summit dedicated to venous disease, which is now in its second decade and is taking place this year from April 20-22, 2017.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Jose Almeida discuss the following:
- Can you tell us a little about the history of the International Vein Congress and why you decided to spearhead the first summit 15 years ago?
- The IVC is made of 18 Sessions throughout the span of 3 days – each session comprises of different conversations, demonstrations and exhibits – what session are you most excited for?
- You are known to be pretty outspoken, especially when it comes to controversial conversations, including the insurance debacle. What are your thoughts on the current state of health care in the U.S?
- Fraud amongst doctors is another topic that you’ve been vocal about – what do you think the driving issue of this is and how can listeners avoid it?
- Can you discuss some of IVC’s main conference learning objectives - what should attendees expect to walk away learning?
JOSE I. ALMEIDA, MD, FACS, RPVI, RVT is a vascular surgeon in Miami, FL specializing in Endovascular Venous Surgery.
Dr. Almeida finished his general surgery residency at the University of Miami- Jackson Memorial Hospital in 1996, and vascular surgery fellowship at the University of Missouri- Columbia in 1998. From 1998-2002 he practiced at the Miami Cardiac and Vascular Institute- internationally recognized for its pioneering endovascular solutions to complex vascular problems. He then moved his focus to patients with venous disease and founded the Miami Vein Center. In 2003 he introduced the International Vein Congress (IVC) - an educational forum in venous disease management. He published the authoritative textbook “Atlas of Endovascular Venous Surgery” and is the author of numerous published peer-reviewed journal articles and textbook chapters.
Dr. Almeida is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery in both Vascular and General Surgery. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Voluntary Professor of Surgery at the University of Miami School of Medicine. He sits on the Board of Directors of the American Venous Forum and was elected as a Distinguished Fellow. He is chairman of the Venous Quality Committee and member of the Executive Committee and Governing Council of the Society for Vascular Surgery - Patient Safety Organization. He is sits on the Journal of Vascular Surgery: Venous and Lymphatic Editorial Board.
In 2014 he earned the distinguished Pioneers in Performance Award for North America—a biennial recognition sponsored by W. L. Gore & Associates (Gore) for physicians demonstrating an unrelenting dedication to advancing endovascular therapy.