Monday Feb 27, 2017
Becoming a Zebra: Diagnosis and Life with a Rare Disease
Dr. Nikki Martinez, Psychologist and Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor again joins eHealth Radio and the Health News, Rare Diseases & Psychology Channels to discuss becoming a zebra; diagnosis and life with a rare disease.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Nikki Martinez discuss the following:
- You were working as a Health Psychologist before you became a strong advocate in the rare disease movement. What drew you to this area?
- What are some of the assumptions that are made in medicine that keep people with rare diseases from getting an accurate diagnosis early on?
- How many rare diseases are there that we know of at this point?
- What can people do to feel like they have support and a community?
- How can individual therapy help this person to deal with waiting to get diagnosed, getting diagnosed, and the ultimate changes that need to be made to their lives? Health Psychology is one of your specialities, how can someone reach you for help?
Dr. Nikki Martinez received her Masters and her Doctorate from Illinois School of Professional Psychology, and completed her pre-doctoral and post-doctoral fellowship at Gateway Foundation in Lake Villa, Illinois.
She is the Head of Clinical Development for www.DrNikkiMartinez.com, where she can be reached if you are interested in individual or couples work with her. She is an Adjunct Professor for 2 graduate programs, a Blogger for the Huffington Post, Everydaypowerblog, Older Dating, Success Stories, Sivana Spirit, Proud Stories, and a Contributor for the Chicago Tribune. She just published her first 8th book through Amazon.com.
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.