Marcia Cole and Nana Eyeson-Akiwowo, Founders of Fourth Phase and the Fourth Phase Afterbirth Box that was developed to help new mothers as they transition into motherhood joins eHealth Radio and the Female Health and Health News Channels.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Marcia Cole and Nana Eyeson-Akiwowo discuss the following:
- What is the fourth trimester?
- How long does the fourth trimester last?
- What are some symptoms that new mother's experience during the fourth trimester?
- What can new mothers do to help with the healing process after childbirth?
- How can family members and friends assist new mothers during the fourth trimester?
- How does the fourth trimester experience differ for women of color?
- How does the fourth trimester impact women in transition and in homeless shelters?
- How does the Afterbirth box help new mothers to heal, feel and be heard?
- What products are included in the box and what are their significance?
- Why are there two different types of boxes available for new mothers?
The idea of the company, Fourth Phase was born during Co-founder Nana Eyeson-Akiwowo's annual charity mission to Ghana. There, she witnessed the lack of postnatal attention being paid to new mothers in her homeland and vowed to do something about it.
During this same time, because of her work with women in New York City homeless shelters, co-founder Marcia Cole understood the lack of awareness about self- and afterbirth care of women in need all too well. They both took these experiences and their passion in startups, helping women and giving back to the community to launch Fourth Phase to be of greater service to women in ways often not recognized.
Through this, the Fourth Phase AfterBirth care gift boxes were conceived to support and unify mothers across the world during the time in their lives when their bodies and spirits are most delicate - after childbirth during the "fourth trimester" which is one of the most critical phases of motherhood.
Created by moms for moms, the Fourth Phase AfterBirth Box helps mothers heal, feel, and be heard. Each Fourth Phase AfterBirth care gift box is curated with a new mother’s physical and emotional recovery in mind. The 12 products featured in each hold the promise to each new mom to be hand-created, tested by new moms, organic, phthalates-free, non-toxic and sustainably sourced.