Mike Carlin, who leads the CPR & AED training division of AED Superstore, the largest reseller of AEDs and associated service in the world joins eHealth Radio and the Heart Health, Emergency Care & Health News Channels.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Mike Carlin discuss the following:
- We constantly hear about cholesterol, blood pressure, heart attacks, is Sudden Cardiac Arrest (SCA) common and is it something the general public should be concerned about?
- What exactly is the difference between a heart attack and sudden cardiac arrest?
- How does one know if someone is suffering from sudden cardiac arrest and what do we do? Does one call 911 and just wait?
- So I give someone CPR and try to use an AED but the person doesn’t make it. Am I responsible? Can I be sued for trying to help?
- Are AEDs expensive and what kind of responsibility are we talking here? Do I just buy it and hang it on the wall?
Mike Carlin has been in the Fire/EMS field since 1996. He started as a junior firefighter and progressed through the ranks to Firefighter/Paramedic. In 1999 he became an American Heart Association and American Health and Safety CPR/AED Instructor. Mike continues to provide this service to the community and travels around the country for AED Superstore as an instructor as well. In 2013, Mike ended his career in EMS and joined AED Superstore where he is currently the Training Coordinator. Unable to stay away from the adrenaline rush of emergency response, he continues to give back to his community as a Lieutenant on his local fire department.
Hockey rules the Carlin household! Mike coaches, all three kids play, and his lovely wife is their biggest fan! Hockey does not leave much time for many additional activities, but in the limited spare time he does have, Mike likes to fish, snowmobile, boat, camp, and enjoy the company of family and friends around a nice campfire.