Libby Baney, Principal at Faegre Baker Daniels Consulting and Executive Director of the Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies, a non-profit organization dedicated to making the Internet safe for consumers worldwide again joins eHealth Radio and the Pharmaceutical & Health News Channels. ASOP Global recently launched a campaign to educate policymakers, consumers and others about the dangers of buying prescription drugs from other countries, including Canada.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels and guest Libby Baney discuss the following:
- How prevalent are illegal online pharmacies?
- There’s been a lot of discussion about legalizing the importation of prescription drugs from Canada. What Do U.S. Residents Get When They Search for a “Canadian Online Pharmacy”?
- Are There ANY Legitimate Canadian Online Pharmacies?
- Why Can’t Congress Just Make It Legal for U.S. Residents to Buy From Only Websites Supplying from Actual Canadian Pharmacies?
- Doesn't this new importation bill have built-in safeguards?
- Can the U.S. Increase U.S. Government Enforcement Authority and Penalties for Illegal Actors?
- What Are the Risks to U.S. Residents Who Buy From a “Canadian” Online Pharmacy?
- What can consumers do to stay safe when shopping for medicines online?
Libby Baney is the executive director of the Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies (ASOP Global), an international non-profit organization based in Washington, D.C. which she founded in 2009. In this capacity, Libby leads ASOP operations, shapes public policy, and advocates for increased international attention to the issue of illegal online drug sellers.
A lawyer by training and health advocate by nature, Libby is a prolific speaker and writer, regularly engaging with diverse audiences on issues at the intersection of Internet technology and healthcare. She leads strategic workshops and speaks on these issues worldwide; writes policy documents; and interacts with international corporate leaders and policymakers.
Libby’s work spans multiple continents, which has been covered by local, national and international media outlets including The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Politico, Roll Call, The Hill, The Los Angeles Times, USA Today, The Washington Times, The Indianapolis Star, Inside Health Policy, Pharmacy Today, ABC News, CNN, and C-SPAN.
In addition to her work for ASOP, Libby is a partner at FaegreBD Consulting and Counsel with Faegre Baker Daniels LLP where she works on Internet policy, intellectual property rights, pharmacy, telemedicine/telehealth, and pharmaceutical supply chain matters.