Dr. Shian Simms, the doctor of veterinary medicine at Bideawee – headquartered in Manhattan joins eHealth Radio and the Animal Health & Emotional Health Channels. Bideawee is the oldest pet adoption agency in the nation and was founded 114 years ago.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Shian Simms discuss the following:
- How does a pet help improve one’s emotional health?
- How does “petting” reduce stress?
- Can your depression problems improve when you interact with your pet?
- How can a pet – especially for older Americans – help with body/mind and spirit?
- Can you share a story or two about how someone adopted a pet through Bideawee and helped him/her in either an emotional or physical way?
- Do you suggest pet health insurance for people who adopt from Bideawee as well as other pet welfare organizations? What are the benefits?
Bideawee, which means “stay awhile,” in Scottish, is one of the country’s oldest and most respected animal welfare and pet adoption organizations. Founded in 1903, Bideawee’s mission is to be Greater New York’s leader in rescuing, caring for, and placing homeless cats and dogs with people who love them. Bideawee provides an array of high touch services including adoption centers, animal hospitals, pet therapy programs, and pet memorial parks that serve pets and pet lovers on their lifelong journey together.
Bideawee’s Loving Legacy program allows pet owners who pre-decease their pets to provide for cherished companion animals. Bideawee is a not-for-profit 501(c) 3 humane animal organization and 100% of Bideawee’s funding comes from private sources. Bideawee operates in New York City, Wantagh, and Westhampton.