Florida’s Thrive Dentistry OnSite takes on challenge of preventative dental care for residents of assisted living facilities
Dr. Don J. Ilkka creator of Thrive Dentistry OnSite to improve and manage the oral health of Assisted Living/Memory Care residents, through the services of mobile dentistry joins eHealth Radio and the Dental Health Information & Health News Channels. Thrive Dentistry OnSite delivers primary oral health care to residents of assisted living and memory care facilities located in Florida.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Don J. Ilkka discuss the following:
- Thrive Dentistry Onsite is described as a mobile dentistry. What is a “mobile dentistry” and how does a mobile dentistry differ from a routine visit to one’s dentist?
- What prompted you to create mobile dentistry and care for people who live in assisted living facilities?
- What is different about treating residents in an assisted living or memory care facility? Are their needs any different than a regular patient?
- Why is the mobility component so important in addressing the needs of assisted living facility residents?
- Does the preventive dental care provided by Thrive Dentistry OnSite differ from a traditional dentistry? Is the equipment used any different? Where did the equipment come from? Is it the same kind of equipment used in a regular dentist office?
- How do assisted living and memory care facility managers view the presence of a mobile dentistry at their facility?
Thrive Dentistry OnSite Founder Don J. Ilkka, DDS had personal family experience the effects of lack of oral health care in a memory care facility. He became a passionate champion to rectify the status of care for residents of Assisted Living/Memory Care facilities. After several years of field research and development, Thrive Dentistry OnSite™ was created. Its mission is to improve and manage the oral health of Assisted Living/Memory Care residents, allowing them to live healthier and happier lives, through the services of mobile dentistry.
Dr. Ilkka received his B.S. from Michigan Technological University and is a graduate of the University of Detroit School of Dentistry. He started his practice in Leesburg, Florida in 1982. Dr. Ilkka Served on the Board of Trustees for the Florida Dental Association and is the liaison between the Board and the Florida Board of Dentistry. In addition, he is an Adjunct Assistant Clinical Professor at the University of Florida School of Dentistry. Dr. Ilkka also volunteers with St. Luke's Medical & Dental Clinic in Eustis, Florida as its Dental Director.