Dr. Kourosh Maddahi, Beverly Hill Cosmetic Dentist and best-selling author, to discuss oral health tips, his natural sea salt mouthwash Oral Essentials, and his new book, The Hidden Epidemic: Restoring Oral Health, One Smile at a Time joins eHealth Radio and the Dental Care and Health News Channels.
- Your book explores the hidden connections between oral health and whole body health. Tell us about your new book, “The Hidden Epidemic,” and why you wanted to write about this topic?
- As you mention in your book, changes in oral health can be indicative of larger health problems. What are some of the first red flags to look for regarding threats to oral health?
- In your book you discuss how health trends such as teeth whitening, antibacterial products and the rise in daily medications can have adverse effects on oral and overall health. Can you discuss some ways to combat the negative effects of these trends?
- What ultimately led you to the creation of your oral hygiene product line, Oral Essentials?
- How does your Oral Essentials line work toward a healthy mouth in a way that typical mouthwashes do not?
- What do you view as being the most pressing oral health concern affecting the global population today and what recommendations do you have?
Dr. Kourosh Maddahi has built a reputation as one of the most trusted names in cosmetic and restorative dentistry. After graduating with honors from UCLA in 1983, Dr. Maddahi went on to complete his dental degree at the University of Southern California School of Dentistry and, in 1987, opened his dental office in Beverly Hills. Now, more than 28 years and 10,000 patients later, Dr. Maddahi remains at the forefront of his field. His unparalleled dedication to education, innovation, and patient comfort and satisfaction have earned him the Consumer Research Council of America’s vote as one of America’s Top Dentists in the Cosmetic and Implant Dentistry fields, as well as the Best of Beverly Hills award appointed by the United States Commerce Association.
The pioneering expert in anti-aging dental procedures and author of the best-selling book Anti-Aging Dentistry: Restoring Youth One Smile at a Time, Dr. Maddahi seeks to provide patients with a corrective, long-lasting solution to unwanted signs of aging. His advancements in the emerging field and signature approach demonstrate how fixing flaws in the smile can restructure a patient’s face and make them look decades younger.
Dr. Maddahi’s second book, The Hidden Epidemic: Restoring Oral Health, One Smile at a Time, draws attention to the unexplored connections between oral health and whole body health. The Hidden Epidemic takes a big picture approach to how oral symptoms such as bad breath and bleeding gums can be signs of larger health issues, as well as how common oral health care mishaps can cause problems elsewhere in the body. Dr. Maddahi focuses on how many current health trends such as juicing, teeth-whitening and the rise in medications, are actually extremely harmful to oral health and can even spawn further damaging behavior, a concept he terms “The Hidden Epidemic." The book is filled with easy-to-read scientific research and case studies to illustrate these epidemics, and offers tips and tricks for readers to identify and address those common health concerns they might be experiencing.
Dr. Maddahi’s groundbreaking work has been featured on top television programs, such as Extreme Makeover London, The Doctors, Oprah, 10 Years Younger, ABC News, CBS News, and he has frequently been consulted for his expertise on various network news programs, such as KABC News, KTLA Morning News, and FOX’s Good Day L.A.