Dr. Paul van Bemmelen, the developer of a device with ACI Medical to assist the arteries with the circulation called ArtAssist joins eHealth Radio and the Vascular Disease Channel. Dr. van Bemmelen is a Professor of Surgery at Temple University School of Medicine and vascular & endovascular surgeon in the Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA.
Listen to interview [audio player below] with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Paul van Bemmelen discuss the following:
- What does a vascular specialist do?
- How can we stop leg-amputations from happening?
- When should a patient seek treatment?
- How can you improve leg-circulation?
- You have developed a device with ACI Medical to assist the arteries with the circulation called ArtAssist: What is it and how does it work?
- What is special about ArtAssist compared to other massage devices?
- What can the patient expect in terms of effect?
- Can patients buy this device?
- What type of doctors can prescribe the ArtAssist?
- What should listeners do, if they have poor circulation and think they might benefit from ArtAssist treatment?
Paul S. van Bemmelen, MD, PhD, FACS attended medical school at the University of Leiden in the Netherlands. He then completed fellowships in open and endovascular surgery at the University of Washington (Seattle, WA), St. Anthonius Hospital (Nieuwegein, Netherlands), and Southern Illinois University (Springfield, IL). He has been in practice since 1993.
He obtained patents for the first arterial assist device in 1993. Because he used the earliest prototype devices, Dr. van Bemmelen has the longest clinical experience with the use of ArtAssist® devices in the world. In addition to the initial studies with ultrasound, he used laser-Doppler, angiographic and other studies to increase the scientific knowledge about the compression method and its application in patients with peripheral arterial disease.
Dr. van Bemmelen’s previous positions include Associate Professor at State University of New York and Chief of Vascular Surgery at the VA Medical Center in Northport, NY.
Dr. van Bemmelen is currently Professor of Surgery at Temple University School of Medicine and a vascular and endovascular surgeon at Temple University Hospital in Philadelphia, PA, where he consults arterio-venous disease patients for both surgical and non-invasive treatments.
Specialty areas: Non-reconstructable diabetic limb salvage, intermittent compression treatment for PVD, carotid endarterectomy, aortic surgery, cosmetic treatment for varicose veins including sclerotherapy
Certifications: Vascular surgery, general surgery