Dr. Lorraine Platka-Bird, Dietician at Center for Hope of the Sierras, a specialized eating disorder treatment facility in Reno, Nevada joins eHealth Radio and the Diabetes and Eating Disorder Channels.
Listen to interview with host Eric Michaels & guest Dr. Lorraine Platka-Bird discuss the following:
- I’ve heard about anorexia and bulimia, but what is Diabulimia?
- What are the symptoms of Diabulimia?
- How can diabetics find a healthy weight without dangerously altering their insulin levels?
- How can diabetics learn what insulin level is best for them?
- Eating disorders are often thought of as being entirely controlled and self-inflicted, are people sick with an eating disorder really in control?
- Since there is such an overlap between the physical and psychological aspects, what kind of facility should someone with Diabulimia be treated at?
Dr. Lorraine Platka-Bird has been counseling individuals with eating disorders for more than 25 years. She takes a holistic approach to treatment, considering all aspects of physical, mental, social, emotional, and spiritual well-being. In addition to helping clients develop a healthy relationship with food, Dr. Platka-Bird helps individuals minimize eating disorder thoughts and behaviors, improve self-image and self-esteem, and develop healthy coping skills and life skills to improve overall quality of life.