Celina Miller, an advocate for people affected by Autistic Spectrum Disorders joins eHealth Radio and the Autistic Syndrome Information Channel. She works to raise awareness for positive solutions to answer the questions that face people affected by ASD.
- How and why did you become an advocate for people affected by Autistic Spectrum Disorders?
- You have a child with Aspergers Syndrome. Can you tell us about the early signs of ASD?
- What is the prevalence of ASD? Why is the number of children diagnosed on the rise?
- How can a concerned parent begin the process of having their child tested for ASD?
- Can you talk about some of the resources available to parents whose child is diagnosed with ASD?
Celina Miller is a writer, advocate, trained yoga instructor, musician, and mother to three - one of whom is affected by Aspergers syndrome. She understands the complexity of issues faced by families who are touched by ASD.
A graduate of the University of Virginia, the former editor-in-chief of YogaMom Magazine volunteers her time with various organizations to help people affected by Autism, mental health issues or homelessness. A member of the Board of Directors at Oasis Center for Women and Children, Celina is the co-chair for a multi-million dollar expansion that will provide needed play therapy services and resources to children in need.
A volunteer with Autism Speaks, Celina reviews grants and is a committee member for the Alabama Walk Now for Autism Speaks. In this capacity she meets with various organizations to encourage involvement and further raise awareness.
Celina service as a volunteer at the First Light Women’s Shelter where, with her children, she makes and serves food to homeless women and children. Celina is an active member in her church and a children’s service-project organizer. She also teaches piano.
A writer, Celina advocates for the protection of civil rights for people affected by ASD as well as promotes awareness about the issues faced by those affected and their families. You can visit her website and blog at www.celinamiller.com.
Celina lives in Birmingham, AL with her husband and children.
Web Site: www.celinamiller.com
Phone: (251) 363-5000