Dr. Michael Fenster, aka Dr. Mike, Board-certified interventional cardiologist and author of the new book, "The Fallacy of the Calorie: Why the Modern Western Diet is Killing Us and How to Stop It" again joins eHealth Radio and the Nutrition & Health News Channels.
- Your new book, "The Fallacy of the Calorie" discusses why we as a culture are obsessed with dieting, counting calories, restrictive eating, and so forth, and also warns that sometimes even the lowest calorie processed staples (like diet, zero-calorie soda) are the WORST things we can ingest in our bodies. Yet there is now the technology side of obession, aka "digital dieting", where we are taking diet and fitness apps to an extreme. Now even Google is getting heat for releasing a-calorie counting app for our food pics on Instagram! What's your take on this?
- There's a new study that was done on mice at Oregon State University indicating that diets high in sugar and fat may impair cognition by changing gut bacteria. The effects were most severe on a high sugar diet, which was also linked to a deficit in early learning for both long term and short term memory. Your book discusses how we're hard-wired to crave things like sugar, salt, and fat. How can we diminish these cravings and possibly re-wire our brains to crave whole foods so we can avoid the harmful effects on our cognitive states and gut bacteria?
- There is however, hope on the horizon. Recent articles show that nutrition experts are deciding to drop recommended restrictions on total fat consumption in the forthcoming 2015 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Wonderful news that the tides are changing! Do you, the standard federal guidelines moving in a new direction in the next five years, given all this new information we have that low-fat dieting is NOT the answer?
- Summer is in full swing and that means we still have weeks to enjoy BBQs, indulgent vacations, and of course, summer cocktails! What are some of your favorite go-to healthy summer recipes that are simple, fun to make, and of course delicious and in season?
- What's next on the horizon? New book? Will you be speaking at any conferences this year? What courses are you teaching? Tell us all about it!
- If you could provide the #1 health myth that we can completely ignore because it's completely bogus (besides counting calories), what would it be?
Dr. Michael S. Fenster, also known as Dr. Mike, just released his newest book, Fallacy of the Calorie. He is best known for his renovated approach to food and health, which resulted in the Grassroots Gourmet™: delicious food that fosters well-being through promoting metabolic health. Dr. Mike loves to combine his culinary talents with his medical expertise. Dr. Mike is a Board Certified Interventional Cardiologist and has published original cardiovascular research that has appeared in peer reviewed scientific and medical journals. As a result, he has been asked participate on numerous medical advisory boards and participate in cardiovascular thought leader symposiums throughout the country. But Dr. Mike’s culinary career began before he ever attended medical school. He received his culinary degree in gourmet cooking and catering from Ashworth University where he graduated with honors.